Monday, April 20, 2009

Easter


So, here is a delayed post from Easter. My mom made this dress that Elinore is wearing. She actually made the bunny smocking for my sister Laura when she was little, but never got around to making a dress, so she made it up for Elinore. Elinore was ecstatic to get to wear such a pretty dress and her fancy shoes. She kept dancing and spinning in circles.

We did a little sunrise service on Easter morning (just us and another family). I love contemplating Jesus's resurrection as I watch the sun come up on a fresh spring day. It feels so invigorating. The kids were troopers (bundled and sleepy-eyed on top of a very chilly hill). We came home for a yummy breakfast of kolaches (little sausages baked into a sweet roll - a family favorite).

Around lunchtime we headed of to Kev's parents' house for a big family lunch/afternoon. I made a very delicious Torta di Mandorla (Italian Almond Cake) that I am still fantasizing about. It was so good. I found the recipe here, and I highly recommend it. Very easy, I splurged a bit on the almond flour, very flavorful! It may become one of our family recipes.

We never got around to dying Easter eggs (and most of what we had at home were brown ones anyway), but Elinore had a blast searching around Grandma and Grandpa's backyard for some plastic ones that we hid. Makes me realize that we should do some little scavenger hunts more often! We were blessed with a gorgeous day and were able to spend a good chunk of the afternoon outside. Elinore and her cousin Lydia spent at least a half hour running around the house and ringing the doorbell every time they passed the front door!

It was really good to see all of our extended family and to meet baby Nora! Easter is such a time of hope and rebirth, watching the world become new again. I enjoyed talking through the Easter story with Elinore. The day before at the grocery store I heard her talking to a lady about our Good Friday service. She was telling her that we were remembering about when Jesus died. She was explaining that it was good that he died, but it was sad. What a complex thing to teach.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: